Beijing Confirms Investigation On Chinese Interpol Chief Meng Hongwei

INTERPOL President Meng Hongwei
INTERPOL President Meng Hongwei poses during a visit to the headquarters of International Police Organisation in Lyon
(Photo: Jeff Pachoud/Pool via Reuters/File Photo)

China confirmed on Sunday that it has launched an investigation on Interpol chief, Meng Hongwei, on the suspicion of wrongdoing following reports that the head of the global law enforcement organization and at the same time, the vice minister of the national security, has gone missing in France.

Citing the statement released by the Chinese anti-graft commission over the weekend, Reuters said that the case of Meng is currently being investigated by the National Supervisory Commission for violations of certain laws.

According to the news agency, this press release from the said office was the first to be made by Beijing concerning the high ranking Interpol official who was first reported missing on Friday by his wife after travelling from the city of Lyon in France, where the international agency is headquartered.

Meng's wife, Grace, said that her husband sent her a text message with an image of a knife before going off the grid for close to two weeks.

As indicated over at Al Jazeera, Mrs. Meng said in her first public comments on the issue that she initially thought that the knife emoji was Meng's way of telling her that he was in a dangerous situation. The woman also revealed that a few minutes before she received the image, Mr. Meng sent a message telling her to wait for his call.

Mrs. Weng has lost further contact with her husband since receiving the last message on September 25. When asked further, Grace Meng could not speculate on Sunday as to what have really happened to him.

As indicated in the report, Grace made her public appearance in Lyon but would not allow the press to show her face for fear of safety.

Meng has an extensive experience in the field to run for more than 40 years. Her served as one of China's top-ranking security officer before joining Interpol in November 2016.

Meanwhile, the BBC report stated that Interpol had already received Meng's letter of resignation from his post as president of the International Criminal Police Organization.

On the agency's official Twitter page, Interpol said that the Senior Vice-President of its Executive Committee, Mr. Kim Jong Yang of South Korea, will become the Acting President in Meng's stead.

As further clarified, the organization will be electing a new President during the Interpol's 87th Genereal Assembly Sessionin Dubai, United Arab Emirates this November 2018. The new official will serve the remainder of two years until 2020, as mandated by the committee.

© 2018 Business Times All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.