Brother And Sister Announced Dead In Hong Kong Hospital Two Weeks After Tin Shui Wai Flat fire

Brother and Sister Announced Dead in Hong Kong Hospital Two Weeks After Tin Shui Wai Flat fire
(Photo: Facebook/Oldboy Mak)

A brother and sister were recently injured following a fire that devoured their home in Tin Shui Wai in Hong Kong. Unfortunately, the siblings reportedly died two weeks after the incident.

According to the South China Morning Post, the man and his sister, 21 and 19 years of age, respectively, were unconscious when firefighters retrieved them from the property. They were located on the 38th floor of Heng Lok House at Tin Heng Estate, but the rescuers were able to pull them at about 1:30 pm on September 1.

By around 1:40 pm in Tuen Mun hospital, the two were announced dead.

The fire was first reported by the sister, who was clamoring that she and her brother were trapped in the burning home.

As soon as the firefighters arrived at the scene, they found the man lying unconscious in the lift lobby. The woman, on the other hand, was out on a staircase and also passed out.

There were about 100 people whom the rescuers evacuated from the building, but this was made possible before the fire was successfully put out. It was around 2: 45 pm when the firefighters announced "no fire." As of press time, there were no other injuries reported.

The Fire Services Department of Hong Kong did its investigation and suspected that the incident had started in a bedroom of the flat. It is possible that the fire could have been ignited by an electrical appliance in the room. Another angle is the possibility of people not being careful at handling the fire source.

Intense flames and some were seen coming from the property. Firefighters were able to resolve the fire, but it took them 90 minutes to put out the blaze.

The pair lived with their parents who were not at home when the fire broke out.

There were also four women and a boy taken directly to Princess Margaret Hospital in Kwai Chung. All of them were said to be suffering from smoke inhalation. But unlike the two siblings, they were conscious all the time, MSN reports.

A resident said his next-door neighbor banged on his door, shouting their home was on fire and warning him to flee.

"[The neighbors] returned home and saw the smoke. They rushed to us and said the gas in the flat was leaking, telling us to go quickly," the man said.

"The smoke was already thick and filled up the whole corridor."

© 2019 Business Times All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
Sign Up for Newsletters and Alerts