Nothing Set In Stone For Jon Jones For Now

Jon Jones
Jon Jones (Photo: Vengo Films | Wikimedia Commons)

Jon Jones will be cleared to return on Oct. 28, serving out his 15-month suspension from USADA after he tested positive for banned substances last year. This celebrated issue overshadowed “Bones” win at UFC 214, overturning the results and becoming a win instead for D.C.

A third meeting would be grand and such could have been something to look forward to ahead. However, Cormier seems to be on a collision course to face Brock Lesnar which leaves Jones out of the picture. According to UFC president Dana White, there are no immediate plans for Jones just yet, the Bloody Elbow said.

Should there be a face-off between Cormier and Jones, it may happen after several fights. But the immediate interest of many is what the UFC plans for Jones. A familiar face has stepped up in Cormier’s place – Alexander Gustafsson.

Both protagonists squared off way back in 2013 which many brands as a close and controversial ending. Gustafsson took to social media his intentions, saying that with Cormier facing Brock, why not give the fans another legendary fight with the title.

The last time out, it was Gustafsson who challenged Jones for the light heavyweight title. The Swedish mixed martial artist has remained out of the spotlight since May 2017, the time where he scored a big victory over Glover Teixeira.

Gustaffson was actually set to face Volkan Oezdemir last month but the match was canceled with the Swede injured. As of this writing, nothing has been set in stone on what the UFC has planned ahead for the fighters concerned.

Despite his shortcomings and preliminary belief that his MMA career is over, there are still some who believe Jones can turn things around. But a return will not be spared from criticism, particularly the suspension which reportedly had 30 months removed, MMA Junkie said.

The time element removed from the sanction stemmed from the camp of Jones being able to deliver substantial assistance to his case. Apparently, Jones had to reveal other fighters for anti-doping violations, not exactly a great way for anyone (even Jones) to return.

Critics and fans aired their dismay, hinting of the loss of faith on how the USADA handled the doping case of Jones. Thus, another stumbling block has cropped up that could taint the much-awaited return of Bones.

Regardless, White seems to be playing it by ear for now. Nothing official on who Jon Jones will fight has been teased, same as to when this could finally happen.

White claims that he has yet to talk to Jones although he hopes that the former champion will finally wise up and make the most of his career, MMA NYTT said.

© 2019 Business Times All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
Loading...
Sign Up for Newsletters and Alerts