3 Ways To Know If Your House Is Already Killing You

A cozy room featuring beautiful sofa chairs.
A cozy room featuring beautiful sofa chairs. (Photo: Christa Grover/ Pexels)

To most of us, our home is our sweet haven. Among all the places we've been, our very own shelter is the only place where most of us can find peace and security. But what if I tell you there is a possibility that your own house is already trying to kill you slowly?

An online health blog Body and Soul posted an article about the frequent mistakes we often do, which pushes our home to evolve into a monster that could kill us anytime. With microbes such as bacteria and viruses as its partner, continually doing these things could cause several illnesses and even death in the end. Given this reason, it is crucial to be aware of these frequent mistakes we often do inside our homes to alter the problem.

COOKING IN A NOT-WELL-VENTILATED KITCHEN

Cooking can create mouth-watering aroma from the different ingredients and herbs used. Though the aroma produced can be very enticing and make you long for food, even more, cooking in a closed place could be very risky. As one person cooks, chemicals such as carbon monoxide and nitrogen dioxide are produced, which can be very dangerous to someone's health as it can cause asthma, flu, or even heart attack.

COOKING IN NON-STICK PANS

"When heated to very high temperatures, non-stick coatings can break down and form small fluorinated molecules like the ones in fire-fighting foams," explains Professor Ian Rae, an expert from The University of Melbourne. Given this reason, once these non-stick pans were used, the risks of being contaminated with these harmful chemicals through food are high.

LEAVING YOUR REFRIGERATOR DIRTY

Food, no matter how yummy or healthy it is or how well-kept it is inside the fridge, would still eventually spoil in due time. With this, fridge, being susceptible to leftovers, can become the best ground for the most dangerous bacteria such as listeria, salmonella, and E.coli. Once a person consumed a portion of food contaminated with such, the victim will experience diarrhea, vomiting, food poisoning, or even death once left unmanaged.

To avoid these risks, it is important to always keep our house clean inside out. According to Real Homes, one can do that by following several steps. These steps include spending less time indoors, limiting the use of unnatural fresheners to avoid exposing yourself to more harmful chemicals, promoting ventilation inside the house to help every part of it dry, and by keeping your refrigerator clean without any leftovers in between.

© 2019 Business Times All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
Loading...
Sign Up for Newsletters and Alerts