Wilfried Zaha Not Leaving Crystal Palace After Failed Everton Bid
Business is over for Crystal Palace, which means that star winger Wilfried Zaha will remain as one of the club's players.
Zaha has been linked with several clubs this summer, including Everton and Arsenal, with the former thought to have seen a bid that Palace did not agree with this week. In an effort to force a transfer, the Ivorian international submitted a formal transfer request. As for Arsenal, the club lost interest when the Nicolas Pepe deal was sealed, but Everton remained interested in the last few days.
There was still confusion over Zaha's future despite the deadline closing in, and there was even a report indicating that Palace were prepared to let go of the player. However, that doesn't seem to be the case right now.
Palace ended up informing Sky Sports News that their summer business has come to an end and that Zaha will be staying at Selhurst Park. This led to the 26-year-old feeling devastated after his deadline day hopes of leaving the club to join Everton was scrapped off.
Hodgson has revealed he told Zaha to return home from training on Thursday as he "wasn't in the right frame of mind" amid the intense speculation. "Yes, he's staying. Absolutely. We're pleased about that," Hodson told Sky Sports ahead of the transfer deadline.
It's not clear how much Everton bid for Zaha, but according to club sources, they only went as far as £52 million. However, there were two other offers, with Everton telling Zaha that they would continue to pursue him until Palace refuses. By Thursday afternoon, Palace declared their transfer business was over as well as their search for a striker.
It was reported that Everton suggested a better offer of £55 million, plus their striker Cenk Tosun, and then proposed increasing that further to £60 million, but Palace would not budge. Zaha had long expressed he is willing to move abroad and has caught the attention of Italy and Germany. Last season, Zaha scored 10 goals and 10 assists for Palace. The only one who scored more than him, penalty taker, Luka Milivojevic.
Several players were released when their contracts ended, but the only major exit from Palace this summer had been fullback Aaron Wan-Bissaka following an agreed £45 million deal with Manchester United in June.
James McCarthy, Jordan Ayew, ex-Chelsea captain Gary Cahill, and Victor Camarasa have all joined ahead of the new 2019/20 season.