Boxing Rumors: Spence Vows To Finish Porter Early, Waiting For Pacquiao Challenge

Errol Spence Jr. and Shawn Porter are set to get it on this coming September 28 with the former defending the IBF and WBC titles in a Fox Sports PBC Pay-Per-View event. Being undefeated so far, "The Truth" is a favorite to prevail over "Showtime" next month at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California.

Probably aware that he has an advantage, coming out with a win is not the only thing on the 29-year-old's mind. In a report from Boxingscene.com, Spence says that Porter will not go the full route as he intends to finish the fight early. If one looks at the odds, the undefeated boxer may have a point.

"I know Shawn will keep this same energy on fight night. It's going to be an amazing moment when I get this knockout at Staples Center. This is what I've been waiting for. I had to be on the sidelines and watch Shawn fight Keith Thurman and Danny Garcia, but now I'm in that group. I have the opportunity to fight these top guys and make my name known," Spence said.

Porter has already suffered two losses thus far in his career. His first loss was at the hands of Kell Brook in 2014 and then to Keith Thurman in 2016. Regardless if he is the underdog, the last thing that Spence wants is to enter the fight being overconfident. While he wants to send a message across the welterweight division.

"My whole thing is that I'm looking for the stoppage. I want to make a statement that I'm clearing out the division. I want Manny Pacquiao and all of the top names in this division."

If everything goes according to plan, Spence is likely to take aim at Pacquiao. The decision on that will depend on Sean Gibbons, the MP Promotions president who said that there will be no rematch between the Filipino boxing icon and Thurman. Jeff Horn, another fighter who wants a rematch is also off the shelf.

Spence was in consideration before the Pac-Man opted to face Thurman instead. Regardless, he is still waiting for his chance, knowing it would be the biggest fight of his career.

"My whole thing is that I'm looking for the stoppage. I want to make a statement that I'm clearing out the division. I want Manny Pacquiao and all of the top names in this division," per a report from Sporting News.

© 2019 Business Times All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
Sign Up for Newsletters and Alerts